WELCOME TO MY MIND

This blog will allow you to follow my creative journey

 
 
Search
  • Kim Burke

26/ MARK 2!

Updated: Apr 21

On Monday I had my Mark 2 tutorial with Chris Lim and Fraser Bruce. For anyone reading this that may not be aware of what this entails, it is simply a presentation and questions with feedback on your development of your project. It is a really great chance to take on critical feedback to further the outcome of your project and give you a push to meet your project goals!


For me it entailed giving a brief overview of my progress until now, covering the prototypes I had previously made in university, cover the new QR code element and introduce some of the storyboarding I had been working on from home. I also described what my next steps were for the final outcome!


Have a scroll through my presentation below and the points I discussed:




To receive feedback after a few weeks with no studio and discussion was great!


Some key points of feedback I took back from Chris and Fraser were:


  • QR code element could take you to more than just a contact number for the lost property of the buoy! I need to take this element into consideration more and develop it further. My current thoughts on this are that I could build a website using Wix to take you to a well branded website for the buoy, to both advertise and sell. But the main element connecting you to the website through the buoy is the QR code. The website can be accessed through the QR code if the buoy becomes lost or detached from its line, giving the fishermen a greater chance of receiving lost goods back. (The data that the QR code takes you to will only be accessible through the scanning of the buoy to keep information safe and secure.) See sketchbook below for some more detail and thumbnails.


  • Continue with making and sketching to further the development of the buoy and make sure the design is as well resolved as can be! Given the current circumstances, it has been difficult to prototype, so I have been focusing my attention elsewhere. However there are still things I can be doing to develop the look and design features of the buoy. Yesterday I began more work on the CAD model, developing some more sketching and design considerations of fastenings etc along the way. I also began developing my physical model further by spraying and adding details to current scaled down prototypes - getting it as close to the end result as possible!



Addition of a vinyl cut QR code brought the model to life. For the final design I would want to mould this with the plastic to ensure that it does not peel or wear away with abrasion.



I also began to combine the internal element, adding copper wire to the exterior of the magnets cylindrical path to complete the model of the generator.


*I was also considering getting the saw out and fitting the lighting components and acrylic lighting casing in order to combine the technological elements into the model more, however I feel like may stray away from the quality I currently have and may be unnecessary as I have a CAD model representing the combination of components* I have been sketching to develop how the internal components would fit!


Below are some sketches of my development of my CAD model so far. I am down to the details now and considering what fastenings are best to make the device watertight and material choices for components to make it boint!!



Above images/sketches show a little brainwave I had whilst looking for objects to inspire me for fastenings. Whilst considering a clip element to attach the the two halves of the buoy, it kept nagging me that the fastening had to be internal and not protruding to limit damage/wear from boats and the sea. This was when I looked into flush attachments, such as clips, screws and rubber plugs. The addition of a rubber seal inside the buoy to limit potential water leaking inside would be necessary.


**Although without being able to test a final model of the buoy in the water, I am uncertain and it may be best to seal the buoy in he manufacturing process with polypropylene to ensure it is water tight.**



For the LED and neopixel attachment at the top of the buoy, I decided that using screws would be the most secure method.



My next steps are to continue development of the buoy through sketching and CAD modelling. So shortly you should hopefully see some CAD development!


Alongside this, I am developing the branding for the buoy. Step one is to establish a name (easier than it sounds)! But I have been researching to gather inspiration and begin sketching some logo ideas, whilst exploring colour themes etc. It is really important for me to illustrate my design well through narrative and branding as my prototype will not be as well resolved as I would have hoped! Keep an eye out for some branding development in the works too!




7 views

©2018 Kim Burke - All rights reserved